A 13-year-old in Ohio has died after “he took a bunch of Benadryl,” making an attempt a dangerous TikTok challenge that’s circulating on-line, in response to a CNN affiliate and a GoFundMe account from his household.
Jacob Stevens was collaborating in a TikTok problem with some associates at house when he ingested the antihistamine, the household donation account states. Jacob was on a ventilator for nearly every week earlier than he died, according to WSYX.
CNN has not independently confirmed his reason for demise.
Overdosing on Benadryl can lead to “severe coronary heart issues, seizures, coma, and even demise,” the US Meals and Drug Administration stated in a 2020 warning to the general public in regards to the lethal “Benadryl Problem” on TikTok.
CNN takes over a 14-year-old’s TikTok account. 17 minutes in, that is what we noticed
Jacob’s grandmother is doing something she will “to ensure one other baby doesn’t undergo” with the problem, she informed CNN affiliate WSYX.
In a press release to CNN, TikTok stated, “Our deepest sympathies exit to the household. At TikTok, we strictly prohibit and take away content material that promotes harmful conduct with the security of our group as a precedence. We have now by no means seen one of these content material development on our platform and have blocked searches for years to assist discourage copycat conduct. Our crew of 40,000 security professionals works to take away violations of our Community Guidelines and we encourage our group to report any content material or accounts they’re involved about.”
The maker of Benadryl, Johnson & Johnson, has known as the problem “harmful.”
“We perceive that buyers could have heard about a web based ‘problem’ involving the misuse or abuse of diphenhydramine,” the undated online statement reads.
“The problem, which includes ingestion of extreme portions of diphenhydramine, is a harmful development and must be stopped instantly. BENADRYL® merchandise and different diphenhydramine merchandise ought to solely be used as directed by the label.”
“We’re working with TikTok and different social platforms to take away content material that showcases this conduct,” the assertion added. “We are going to look to accomplice throughout business and with key stakeholders to handle this harmful conduct.”
CNN has reached out to the Stevens household and Columbus Public Well being for remark.
The FDA’s 2020 warning stated the company had “contacted TikTok and strongly urged them to take away the movies from their platform and to be vigilant to take away further movies which may be posted.”
Benadryl is an antihistamine used to deal with signs comparable to a runny nostril or sneezing from higher respiratory allergy symptoms, hay fever or the frequent chilly. It’s secure and efficient when used as beneficial, the FDA stated.
“Diphenhydramine is marketed beneath the brand-name Benadryl, retailer manufacturers, and generics. It is usually out there together with ache relievers, fever reducers, and decongestants,” the company stated.
Shoppers and oldsters ought to retailer Benadryl and different over-the-counter drugs and prescription medicines out of the attain of youngsters, the FDA stated.