Nicky Campbell has taken to social media to ‘take a stand’ as he was falsely accused of being the BBC star who paid a vulnerable teenager £35,000 for sexual pictures.
The BBC Radio 5 Live presenter said that he had reported those who claimed online that he was the man in question to the police, sharing a screenshot of the accusatory tweet online.
‘I think it’s important to take a stand,’ he wrote. ‘There are just too many of these people on social media. Thanks for your support friends’
The tweet accusing him of being at the unknown person involved in the scandal shared an image of Campbell with the caption: ‘This is the BBC host who paid teenager for sexually explicit photos. £35000 paid for the photos #Disgusting’.
The 62-year-old is not the only BBC A-lister forced to deny they are the person at the centre of the scandal, with Gary Lineker, Rylan Clark and Jeremy Vine all taking to social media to distance themselves from the reports.
A presenter, who is described as well-known but has not been named, allegedly began paying the teenager when they were 17, and sent them the money which they used to fund a drug addiction.
The child’s mother, who made the shocking allegations in May, told the Sun she feels ‘sick’ whenever she sees the man on TV, as questions grow over why it took so long for the corporation to act.
The BBC Radio 5 Live presenter said that he had reported those who claimed online that he was the man in question to the police, sharing a screenshot of the accusatory tweet online
This evening, Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, became the third prominent BBC presenter to distance himself from reports that a top BBC star paid a vulnerable teenager £35,000 for sexual pictures that the youngster used to buy crack cocaine
Rylan Clark also earlier took to social media to clear his name amid reports that a top BBC star paid a vulnerable teenager £35,000 for sexual pictures
Jeremy Vine (pictured) has also distanced himself from the allegations today
Yesterday, Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, denied he was at the centre of the scandal, tweeting: ‘Hate to disappoint the haters but it’s not me.’
Earlier in the day, Rylan, who has presented on BBC Radio Two among a string of other work, was the first to declare he was not the host in question.
The 34-year-old has been absent from his Saturday afternoon slot on Radio 2 since May 20, due to a clash with a travelogue he is currently filming in Italy with TV judge Robert Rinder.
He wrote: ‘Not sure why my names floating about but re that story in The Sun – that ain’t me babe.
‘I’m currently filming a show in Italy for the BBC, so take my name out ya mouths.’
Vine also distanced himself from the claims, adding: ‘Just to say I’m very much looking forward to hosting my radio show on Monday — whoever the ‘BBC Presenter’ in the news is, I have the same message for you as Rylan did earlier: it certainly ain’t me.’
The allegations were made to the corporation by the child’s mother in May, but the star remained on air for some time after that.
She told the Sun she feels ‘sick’ whenever she sees the man on TV.
‘I blame this BBC man for destroying my child’s life — taking my child’s innocence and handing over the money for crack cocaine that could kill my child’, she said.
‘The money had been in exchange for sexually explicit photographs of my child.’
The mother added that their child went from a ‘happy-go-lucky youngster to a ghost-like crack addict’ in just three years. It is claimed that even after the family complained, the star continued to send money and remained on air.
The teen’s mother also told the Sun last night she used to ‘love’ watching the presenter, and was left ‘shocked’ to see a photograph of him in his underwear on the sofa of his house while looking at her child’s phone.
‘I immediately recognised him. He was leaning forward getting ready for my child to perform for him. My child told me, ‘I have shown things’ and this was a picture from some kind of video call.’
She told The Sun on Sunday: ‘We just wanted the BBC to tell him to stop. I’ve had three years of hell. The impact of this has been terrifying.’
She continued: ‘In my mind that man was supplying the crack. My child wouldn’t have access to this money if it wasn’t for him. If it goes on then my child is going to wind up dead. Putting this out to the public is the only way to stop it.’
BBC News entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba said that the unnamed presenter will not appear on air in the near future.
The presenter at the heart of the investigation has reportedly been taken off air
A formal complaint was made to the BBC by the family two months ago, begging bosses to stop the behaviour towards their child, now 20
He told the BBC News channel: ‘We understand that the presenter is currently not scheduled to be on air in the near future.’
The BBC’s culture editor Katie Razzall said the presenter’s continued presence on its content after a serious allegation was made ‘leads to questions about what steps the Corporation took after the complaint.’
She said many questions were still unanswered, including how the investigation was undertaken and if it was appropriate for the unnamed presenter to remain on air following the allegation.
The star, said to be known to millions, allegedly requested ‘performances’ from the teenager, who used the cash to fund their spiralling drug habit.
It is claimed the star sent hundreds or even thousands of pounds at once, once depositing a sum of £5,000 in the teenager’s bank account.
The explicit messages are said to have started in 2020. The family said the star did not hide his identity and even sent photographs to the teen while at work.
A BBC spokesperson told MailOnline: ‘We treat any allegations very seriously and we have processes in place to proactively deal with them.
‘As part of that, if we receive information that requires further investigation or examination, we will take steps to do this.
‘That includes actively attempting to speak to those who have contacted us in order to seek further detail and understanding of the situation.
‘If we get no reply to our attempts or receive no further contact that can limit our ability to progress things but it does not mean our enquiries stop.
‘If, at any point, new information comes to light or is provided — including via newspapers — this will be acted upon appropriately, in line with internal processes.’